Set up email using Outlook for Android app
Note Outlook for Android requires a device running Android 4.0 or later. App availability also varies by country. Find out what’s available in your country. If the app is incompatible with your device, you can add your mail account by using the mail app that comes with your device. See Set up email using the Android mail app.
Do you have Outlook for Android installed on your device?
- If it’s not installed on your device, download Outlook for Android from the Google Play Store. Open the app. If you want an introduction, tap Product Tour, or tap, Get Started.
- If it is installed on your device, open the app, and then tap tap the navigation control at the bottom of your device, or tap More
> Settings > Add Account.
On the Add An Account page, select the mail account you want to add:
- Tap Outlook.com if you have an Outlook email account ending with @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @msn.com, or @live.com.
Note This includes international domains, such as @outlook.co.uk, or any custom domains hosted on Outlook.com.
- Tap Exchange if you have a work or school account in Office 365 for business or another Exchange-based mail account.
- Tap one of the other options if you have a different mail account. For example, tap Gmail if you want to add a Gmail account.
- Enter your full email address, for example email@example.com, type your password, and then tap Sign in.
- The account will be added, and Outlook for Android will begin to sync to the email account.
To learn more about using Outlook for Android, tap the navigation control at the bottom of your device, or tap More
> Help. Or, use your browser and go to Frequently asked questions about Outlook for iOS and Android.
Set up email using the Android mail app
Set up an Office 365 for business or other Exchange-based email account
- Tap Settings > Accounts > Add account > Email. This application might be named Mail on some versions of Android.
- Type your full email address, for example firstname.lastname@example.org, type your password, and then tap Next.
- Select Exchange.
If prompted, accept the defaults on the Exchange server settings page, and tap Next. If your device can’t connect, enter the following account information, and then select Next.
- Domain\Username Type your full email address in this box, for example, email@example.com. If Domain and Username are separate text boxes in your version of Android, leave the Domain box empty, and type your full email address in the Username box.
- Password Use the password that you use to access your account.
- Exchange Server Use the address of your Exchange server. If you aren’t sure what your server address is, check with your administrator. The server for Office 365 for business is outlook.office365.com.
- Depending how your Exchange administrator set up your account, you might receive a message about additional security features. Select OK to continue.
- As soon as the device verifies the server settings, the Account Options page opens. Select the options for how you want to receive your mail, and then tap Next. (You may need to scroll down to see Next.)
- If you see Activate device administrator? page, select Activate.
- Give the account a name, and then tap Done.
Tip You might need to wait ten to fifteen minutes after you set up your account before you can send or receive email.